Tuesday 25 October 2011

Out of the Box - 21 Oct 2011

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's Devotional
21 October, 2011
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International 

Out of the Box

"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Psalm 139:14, NIV

As I was tidying away my son’s toys I found myself becoming frustrated that they just didn’t fit nicely into his toy-box. Various shapes, sizes, colours, textures and materials mingled together to form the basis of his educational, yet irrationally and unevenly shaped collection of toys. Even the books didn’t seem to be normal book-shapes! As such, they just wouldn’t fit neatly together in a convenient and sensible box. As I tried to wedge in a particularly non-conformist toy, I found myself thinking of how we can be like these toys.

We are all amazingly and uniquely created in the most imaginative way. We all have so many facets to ourselves. There are our personalities, likes, and dislikes, talents, even our physical bodies. Yet we’re conditioned by life to fit into stereo-typical boxes. It could be the box for the good Christian or the box for the perfect wife, husband or parent. It could be that we should all look a certain way, wearing similar clothes and fitting them perfectly. Or it could be enforced upon you by your job, your community or your family.

It could even be a box you create for yourself in order to feel secure. Such pressures lead us to becoming frustrated as we strive to conform and gain man’s acceptance. Yet it’s impossible to conform because you just don’t fit the box. Ultimately you’ll fail in gaining man’s full acceptance. Many of us go through life working so hard to fit into the appropriate boxes that we lose sight of who we truly are.

For us to gain God’s acceptance we simply have to be ourselves; the true self that God foreknew (Jeremiah 1:5) and created from His heart of love and unlimited imagination. God’s acceptance is unconditional and is everlasting. Man’s acceptance is fickle, fallible and conditional.

As it is, Kyle’s toy-box is simply buried beneath a jumbled collection of bright colours and exciting opportunities for fun and learning. Maybe that’s how it should be for us. Rather than trying to conform to a box-like standard we should just enjoy being an exciting and colourful jumble of all that God made us to be!

Prayer: Father God. Thank You for making me, me. I’m sorry I’ve tried to squeeze myself into boxes that constrain my true self and I ask You to help me find more of the real me and enjoy my life as You wanted me to. Amen.
 
Today's Writer : Lindsey Hanekom Lindsey Hanekom has worked at all of our UK centres over the years and is now settled at Ellel Scotland with her husband, Johann and their young son, Kyle. She is part of the Ellel 365 Team as well as being responsible for the marketing and publicity for Blairmore. Alongside these roles, Lindsey is a valued teacher who has a real heart to see people move into the fullness of life and to discover their full and true identity in God.
Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog Click here to find out more about a FREE TRIAL of Ellel 365

Like Out of the Box on Facebook   share on Twitter   Google Plus One Button
forward to a friend
browse the archive of devotionals | ellel ministries website

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship.  Provided acknowledgement is made to Seeds of the Kingdom as the source, you are also welcome to use it in a non-commercial way and reproduce it in magazines or other Christian websites. The copyright for any commercial use of the material remains with Ellel Ministries International.
Copyright © 2011 Ellel Ministries International.
You are receiving this devotional message because you have signed up to receive daily devotionals from Ellel Ministries International at www.seedsofthekingdom.org

Our mailing address is:
Ellel Ministries International
Ellel Grange
Bay Horse
Lancaster, Lancashire LA2 0HN

Add us to your address book

No comments:

Post a Comment