Monday 26 September 2011

Pressure Creates Change - 08 August 2011

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's Devotional
08 August, 2011
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International 

Pressure Creates Change

"Keep yourself in training for a godly life. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is valuable in every way, because it promises life both for the present and for the future."
1Timothy 4:7b-8, GNB

This week I was at the gym doing a weights exercise class. As we all worked hard to push our weight bars over our head, the instructor encouraged us on by saying “pressure creates change!” The instructor was referring to the pressure we were putting on our muscles, and that by continuing with the pressure we would build muscle and change the shape of our bodies. But I found my thoughts drifting to my life, reflecting on the times over the years I have been under pressure, sometimes a great deal of pressure. What I realised, as I thought back, is that the times in my life where I was put under pressure I really did change and become much stronger - as I trusted Jesus.

Each of us in our lives faces pressure of all kinds. We have pressure on our time, responsibilities to fulfill with work and our families, financial pressure, and maybe our health. Also our communities, and even our nations, add a different level of pressure that we have to deal with regularly. Yet, as Christians, we want to serve the Lord and do our best for Him in the work He gives us to do.

I have sometimes thought how wonderful it would be if there was no pressure. But today I want to encourage you that the pressure we face creates change in us and builds spiritual muscle. Pressure forces us to need Jesus in our lives, for I fear without Him we wouldn’t have the strength to do what He wants us to do. Our gym instructor told us that it’s slow, controlled, regular resistance that builds our physical muscle. So it is with spiritual muscle.

Today’s verse from 1 Timothy is a great encouragement about the value of spiritual exercise in our life, and it’s not just a benefit for the present time, but for the future and all eternity.

Prayer: Dear Father, in the midst of today’s pressure I choose to lean on You. Build my spiritual muscles and make me strong in You. Help me to embrace the pressure and I ask You, Jesus, to give me Your grace to do what You know I need to do today. May I reap the blessing of abundant life. Amen.
 
Today's Writer : Lynda Scott Lynda Scott was first was introduced to Ellel Ministries at a conference led by Peter and Fiona Horrobin in 1996 when she was miraculously healed following a devastating accident. Lynda has continued her association with Ellel Ministries over the years and has recently written her story “Lynda: From Accident & Trauma to Healing & Wholeness”. She lives in Australia with her husband Leigh and 3 young children, working both as a full time mother and helping her husband with the administration of their beef cattle farm.
Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog Click here to find out more about a FREE TRIAL of Ellel 365
forward to a friend |  browse the archive of devotionals | ellel ministries website

Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship.  Provided acknowledgement is made to Seeds of the Kingdom as the source, you are also welcome to use it in a non-commercial way and reproduce it in magazines or other Christian websites. The copyright for any commercial use of the material remains with Ellel Ministries International.
Copyright © 2011 Ellel Ministries International.
You are receiving this devotional message because you have signed up to receive daily devotionals from Ellel Ministries International at www.seedsofthekingdom.org

Our mailing address is:
Ellel Ministries International
Ellel Grange
Bay Horse
Lancaster, Lancashire LA2 0HN

No comments:

Post a Comment